Does your car have a problem with its electric mirror function? If yes, don’t worry because you’ve come to the right place. We’ll show you how to fix your car’s electric mirror.
Electric mirrors (or rearview cameras) are becoming standard in new vehicles. They allow drivers to see behind their cars without looking out the back window. The mirror works by detecting objects or other cars and automatically adjusting the angle of the mirror to display them. If you’re experiencing problems with your electric mirror, there could be something wrong with the wiring harness, the motor itself, or the sensor.
This article will cover some common issues and solutions for your electric mirror.
This article covers the following topics:
- How does an electric mirror work?
- Why do my electric mirrors stop working?
- What are the symptoms of an electric mirror malfunction?
- How can I tell if my electric mirror is broken?
- How can I repair my electric mirror?
- How much does it cost to replace my electric mirror?
How does a Car Electric Mirror Work?
An electric mirror uses a camera mounted on the vehicle’s rear to detect what is behind the car. The camera sends signals to the mirror, which adjusts the angle of the mirror accordingly.
When the camera detects an object, it sends a signal to the mirror to adjust the position of the mirror so that the driver can see the thing.
Why Do My Car Electric Mirrors Stop Working?
There are many reasons why your electric mirror may stop working. Some of these include:
- Wiring Harness – A faulty wiring harness can cause your electric mirror to fail. A loose connection between the wires usually causes this. Also check if it has disconnected from the car battery.
- Motor – An issue with the motor can also cause your electric mirror to stop working.
- Sensor – A bad sensor can cause your electric mirror not to work correctly.
- Dirt – Another possible reason could be dirt or moisture getting into the sensor. Hence, it is advised that you periodically take time to losen your mirror and clean it off every particle of dirt that may have accumulated over time.
What Are The Symptoms Of a Car Electric Mirror Malfunction?
A malfunctioning electric mirror can present different symptoms depending on the type of problem. These symptoms can range from minor to major and can include:
- Your electric mirror doesn’t move at all.
- You can hear a clicking noise when you turn the steering wheel.
- There is no movement of the mirror when you press the button.
Once noticed, these symptoms above should show that your electric mirror is beginning to malfunction.
How Can I Tell If My Car Electric Mirror Is Broken?
Looking at the connector, you can tell if your electric mirror is broken. If the connector looks damaged, it means that the wire has been cut. If the connector looks fine, but the mirror isn’t moving, there might be another issue. Wire cuts can happen anywhere, so loosen the mirror parts to check if any connecting wires have been cut.
How Can I Repair My Car Electric Mirror?
To repair your electric mirror, remove the cover plate from the bottom of the mirror. Then, it would help if you disconnected the power supply cable from the battery. Finally, you must connect the power supply cable to the battery again.
Once you’ve done this, your electric mirror should start working again.
How Much Does It Cost To Replace My Car Electric Mirror?
Replacing your electric mirror costs about $100. However, you can save money by buying a used one instead of replacing it.
ALSO READ: Car Audio Capacitor Troubleshoot; How to Repaire Car Speaker Problems
If you notice that your electric mirror is not functioning, it’s best to contact a professional mechanic for help. They will be able to diagnose and fix the problem in no time.
Leave a Reply